Tuesday, November 22, 2005

1 Latte and 1 Amicus Brief, Please

It's been confirmed. Stanford (and, in general, California) is the most relaxed environment of which I've been a part. I've had this suspicion for a while.

Yesterday night, while pounding through some Contracts reading at a popular vender of overpriced espresso drinks, I crossed paths with my














(ground breaking work conducted here)

Crim Professor. This, in and of itself, did not really surprise me. The fact that he was casually writing a last minute brief to be read by the Supreme Court did. The question to be presented in oral arguments this Monday is whether it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment to search and seize someone on parole without any probable cause. Kind of an important question. Not exactly bearing Roe or Brown-like precedential value. But, come on, last minute lawyering with national implications at Starbucks? That's hilariously refreshing. Forget ivory towers. Here, it's reclining chairs with Bob Dylan on replay in the background.

This guy is no slouch, mind you. Professor Bob Weisberg is Stanford's answer to Harvard's Alan Dershowitz. A former clerk for Justice Potter at the Supreme Court, Weisberg teaches from memory out of a 1000 page textbook that he authored. He's got a great style of tangential rambling that always manages to circle back to the principles at hand. Plus, most importantly, he's from The City. New York City. Though, he did have to correct my false presumption of Yankee allegiance.

I talk a lot about how I miss N.Y. things and N.Y. people. But, I'm convinced that I wouldn't be exposed to this casual approach to cutting edge legal theory had I chosen not to be here. I do like it out here, though I know that this is still just a temporary lily pad. For now, it's enough to go to the lectures just to hear him correctly pronounce "murdah" and "cawse."

On a side note, is it weird that I find my accent coming out more now that I'm so far away from home? I've thought about this before. But, it's hard to dig into your own subconscious. The best that I can come up with is that maybe it'll be a signal to fellow New Yorkers. I don't really know. Any thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home