Monday, November 14, 2005

Battle of Stirling, It Wasn't...


...but it feels great, at the very least, to have my first law school exam behind me. For those of you unfamiliar with a law school issue spotter, imagine a two page single spaced fact pattern followed by a "yes-no" prompt. It was a furious race to argue as much as possible, as quickly as possible. I feel like I hit on every major point. But, since it is a legal certainty that I did not discuss all the potential issues, I have fiercely avoided any discussion of the exam. I think I may have taken it too far when I told one of my boys, 1L JCrew, to stop spreading the post-exam virus of cross referencing.

It will be nice to have people return from orbit, though. For the last week or so, the section started to take on all the attributes of law students that I imagined would be the norm. Frantic e-mails. Anal habits. Unreal questions. I had to send out a message last night to bring some levity back to the situation. I'll hold off on posting that here, since it is written in law school parlance (i.e., language of the dork). In the hour that followed, I received almost a dozen versions of thanks or electronic laughter. That, in and of itself, was a relief that there are like minded people out there. The best response, "you are my fucking hero," came from 1L Horn.

Now, I didn't come to law school to be coddled. But, I also don't believe in heaping pressure and stress on one self for motivational sake alone. What good is it to worry about things you can't control?

I think it was either Plato or Van Wilder that said, "Worrying is a lot like a rocking chair. It'll give you something to do, but won't get you anywhere." For this reason, you'll notice that the word "grade" appears nowhere in this post. Until now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home