Saturday, November 12, 2005

Full Disclosure


I have a confession to make. I saw Pride and Prejudice last night. I saw Pride and Prejudice last night without being dragged by my girlfriend. I saw Pride and Prejudice last night without being dragged by my girlfriend...and liked it. Or, at the very least, found it a useful diversion from midterm related things.

I read it 10th grade and hated it. But, it was just damn funny this time around. Plus, I have an affection for all things Keira Knightley related, even if her character is supposed to be a plain Jane. I really like dry, sarcastic English humor. Plus, I went with a crew of great people laid back enough to let me crack lowbrow jokes without it feeling too inappropriate.

Personally, I was pulling for 50 Cent's gangsta thriller (Get Rich Or Die Tryin'). I guess I wasn't convincing enough on the merit of an alternative formulation of the traditional Horatio Alger (gutter-to-glory) tale viewed through a critical socioeconomic lens. I mean, isn't that what made Scarface such a classic? That, or gruesome murders, high level corruption, automatic weapons, and huge stashes of cocaine. Braveheart is, and always will be, my favorite movie. But, I can watch Scarface again and again, without losing any of enthusiasm for it. Scarface has become a source of inspiration to those consumed with the urban hip-hop culture. Nas, Biggie, and Mobb Deep all reference Pacino's character in their tracks and, well, the rapper Scarface doesn't exactly have a disfigured face. But, I really think everybody can draw something from Pacino's phenomenal performance as Tony Montana. Without endorsing thug life, everyone of us has an avenue straight to the top. This nation rewards everyone willing to put in their own work, blood, sweat and tears. Lawyers included...

"You want to waste my time? Okay. I'll call my lawyer. He's the best lawyer in Miami. He's such a good lawyer, that by tomorrow morning, you're gonna be working in Alaska. So dress warm."- Tony Montana, Scarface

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home