Friday, November 25, 2005

People Who Need People

Home has been relaxing and the feasting fattening. I had a pretty scattered day yesterday between spending the morning with Shuli in Setauket, the afternoon with grandparents in Bayside, and the evening/after-hours with the old guard in Port Jefferson. But, it was the best Thanksgiving that I've had in years. It's been too long since I have been able to spend time with the girl (that I already knew) and, after catching up with some kids while out last night, it turned out to be the same way with them. (Who knew the part-time barber was going to dental school? That Lebowski was starring in a multi-million dollar stage production? Or, that Travel Soccer Throwback was doing biotech research for a start-up?) It was a really random night that ended with 3:00 a.m. session of cards at Guitar Slinger's house.

But, I was caught most off-guard this holiday with seeing my brother again.

I've been in touch with Jarhead more recently than in any of the past five years. In my four years away from college, I feel like we hardly spoke to each other. He called me fewer times than I imagine somebody in prison could have. It was an odd dynamic to have with someone to which I would give a kidney and for which I would take a bullet. But, since he went away to college, we've connected a lot better. Especially since we now share that alma mater bond, as well. I've been able to play that advising/mentoring/ear-lending role that I've always tried to assume. We talk a lot more and I feel like I can now ask him about anything, though unsolicited commentary is still slow coming.

I respect him and love him and absolutely admire him for the fiercely loyal and refreshingly honest person that he is. He's also both tremendously confident for someone his age and typically in need of independence as comes with the age. I suppose that this is a part of why he never really leaned on me for anything. He probably feels like he has never needed to. I don't know what it's like to have an older brother. But, I want be more than a friend in need. For the first time in a while, it's starting to feel that way. For that, I'm thankful. Even more thankful than the all night session in store at McSorley's this coming evening...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home