Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Holidays Should Not Be Study Days

I refuse to let this staggered final exam schedule rain on my time off.

There's too much else on my mind.

There's too much sleep and too much normal human behavior to catch up on.

I'm not sold on the post-Holiday testing schedule. That's probably putting it too mildly. There is not a single "benefit" of this backloaded approach that I find persuasive. This has all the makings of a messy break-up. Stanford and I get to split now for a couple weeks. Soon, I'll start thinking about her again. She'll call late at night. I'll be thinking about her while I'm doing other things. Before I know it, I'll be drunk dialing her letting her know just how much I care. I need a clean break.


Unfortunately, the High Priests of SLS have long scheduled 1L finals after the ball drops in Times Square. Given that they only have set this looming construct for first year students, I can only assume they do this in an attempt to quarantine the new class from one another. This is the first set of law exams and the positive feedback loop of stress here is palpable. I can't walk into the library without being overwhelmed with the high stakes that have been attached to waiting for documents at the printer station and fighting for a seat against undergraduate parasites.

If this is the justification, I'm simply unconvinced.

If these are big problems in life, karma must be rewarding law students for Christ-like behavior. I've always felt that life is a short day in the sun. With the new reality of Mom's diagnosis, I can't shake the existential 'carpe diem' lens that has been tinting my perspective. I'm not sure I really want to either. I'll be back in New York tomorrow and, finally, be able to wrap my arms around her. In a weird way, things make more sense now.

Unlike finals after New Year's.

3 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Blogger Michael said...

First, I've been enjoying reading your blog over the last few days. It's nice to know that we all share similar thoughts and frustrations about the 1L experience.
Second, did you see that the Monmouth Hawks beat Princeton tonight 41-21? That's a score you expect on Monday Night Football or at a high school JV girls basketball game. Penn has no competition in the Ivy League, which is unfortunate because they are left unprepared for the Tournament.

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Lubes. Have a safe trip home.

- JR

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

Yeah, it warms my heart to see Princeton reduced to feeble incompetence. Thanks, Mike.

JR, Appreciate it. Home for two weeks now. Meet up sometime at McSorleys??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home