Saturday, December 10, 2005

Nice Little Saturday

It's kind of funny.

Things that I used to consider errands, now actually seem more like relaxation.

Grocery shopping? Laundering clothes? Cleaning my apartment? Throw in a trip to 'Bed, Bath, and Beyond' and, to quote Will Ferrell from Old School, life has come through with a "nice little Saturday."















I imagine that this has less to do with a burgeoning twenty-something year old mindset and more to do with rejoicing in not reading the law. The reality of the 1L routine has devolved into the following binary: you're reading or you're not. If you're not, the world is your oyster and the possibilities are endless. If you are, well, spending a day turning pages at Starbucks seems entirely ordinary.

So, for better or for worse, all forms of life outside a casebook have merged under the single heading of "chilling out." I'm happy for people when I hear that they've gone to the mall or even that they cooked dinner from scratch. It's refreshing. If that sounds strange, I agree. Many things about law school are. "Contract land" is a bubble far removed from any notion of reality.

But, this bubble is where I prefer to be for the time being. At this point in my life, I still prefer the sheltered studies of academia to a generic nine-to-five grind. Even if academia has distorted my perception of r & r.

It goes without saying, then, that a night like last scored off the charts. I'll take my chances with The Big Lebowski, vodka, kahlua, milk, and eight kids from the section any night of the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home