Thursday, January 19, 2006

Dear Stanford,

I arrived home last week, still glowing from an exciting semester, only to confront an unfortunate reality. Upon my return, I was informed that my Mom is now a cancer patient in her final stages.

Ever a teacher (she had retired in 2004), she didn't want to burden me with this knowledge during final exams. As much as I love Stanford, it became clear to me that I could not be so far away in her time of need.

Yet, she deflected my suggestion that I take immediate leave to spend additional time with her. She would absolutely love to be able to see me graduate from law school. But, when she didn't as adamantly brush aside my offer to finish my degree at a program closer to home, I knew that was exactly what I had to do.

After discussing the options Student Affairs Lady presented me with friends and family, I have decided that a transfer fits best. It allows me to obtain a law degree on schedule and see her much, much more than I was able to this past term. Writing this from our home on Eastern Long Island, I am a one hour drive from NYU and Columbia and a two hour drive from Yale.

Several times this semester, I have mentioned to classmates and relatives that I couldn't imagine having a better law school experience than one at Stanford. But, I don't want to be a person that doesn't put family first.

Thank you for a great semester and for being a part of a place that will be very hard to leave.

Best,

SLS1L

4 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SLS1,

Had some tears in my eyes reading your last post. You are a very brave, very thoughtful, and amazing young man. You were faced with a difficult choice and you put family first. I wish you and your mother strength and many happy moments during this tough time.

I prayed for you tonight. I prayed that you'd do your best to keep your (red!) head up and to remember that, no matter what happens, you and your mother share an unparalleled and undying bond. I already know that you're going to take care of your Mom - you're that kind of guy. But take care of yourself, too.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

Wow. Thanks for that note.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Words are cheap when it comes to these things so all I can say is this: I don't know you but here's wishing you and your family the best over the next few weeks and months.

Sometimes writing about difficult times can be a form of therapy but I'm sure your readers would understand if you chose to blog about other things.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger nate said...

john,

nate koch here. as a friend of yours [it's been a long time] and also a former student of your mom's [she was one of my favorites], i'm really so proud of your decision to come back east. your mom, as well as your entire family, have been in my thoughts for the last few months and i pray that better days are ahead.

if you ever need help with anything NYU-related, i'm here for you - granted i don't go to the law school, but it's only a short walk from where i am, and i would be more than glad to help you in any way possible.

always,
nate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home