Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Grand Gossip

Overheard at today's Alito nomination hearings in hallowed Senate halls...

SPECTER: Do you agree that Casey is a super-precedent or a super stare decisis, as Judge Luttig said?
ALITO: Well, I personally would not get into categorizing precedents as super-precedents or super-duper precedents or any...
SPECTER: Did you say super-duper?
ALITO: Right.
(LAUGHTER)
SPECTER: Good. I like that.
(LAUGHTER)
ALITO: Any sort of categorization like that sort of reminds me of the size of the laundry detergent in the supermarket.

ALITO: Well, that was a correct statement of what I thought in 1985, from my vantage point in 1985.

ALITO: Senator, I had never attended a non-coeducational school until I went to Princeton. And after I was there a short time, I realized the benefits of attending a coeducational school.

ALITO: When you become a Judge, you have to think about legal issues like a Judge.

HATCH: People like me don't know what an eating club is, but it sure as heck doesn't sound like a cafeteria.

BIDEN: My son was -- well, anyway, he ended up going to that other university, University of Pennsylvania. I mean, I really didn't like Princeton. I was an Irish Catholic kid who thought it had not changed like you concluded it had. I admit, one of my real dilemmas is I have two kids who went to Ivy League schools. I'm not sure my Grandfather Finnegan will ever forgive me for allowing that to happen. But all kidding aside, I wasn't a big Princeton fan. And so maybe that is why I focused on it and no one else did. But I remember it at the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home