Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ramble On

When someone in your immediate family has cancer, I can assure you that out of sight is not out of mind. In fact, I think that being out of sight has pushed what ails Mom squarely into the forefront of my mind.

Sitting here, the length of the nation away from her, my thoughts circle back East like clockwork. But, everything about being out here serves as an information barrier. So, the cycle continues.

It's such a strange time for our family, but we are trying to stay positive. There really is no "beating" what Mom has at this point - though fighting it makes a hell of a lot more sense than drawing straws.

So, she's started treatment. Her experience with chemotherapy has been emotionally and physically exhausting. What I find hardest about this ordeal is the tension between being optimistic and realistic, between trying to live life as normal or changing course so as to avoid regret.

"But I know one thing I've got to do, I've got to ramble on."

1 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Blogger bobgirrl said...

Two and a half years ago my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. This is not a cancer that you recover from nor one that goes into remission. I've never been close to my parents although I love them both dearly. They live about 3 hours away and I've tried to see them more since this "ordeal" has started. My mom has survived much longer than what the statistics said. She adamantly refuses to read anything on the internet about her cancer but instead puts her faith in her doctors. This wouldn't be my approach but at some point you have to let her deal with it in her own way.

I wish you many happy times with your mom in her remaining days. Don't ever take them for granted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home