Monday, April 10, 2006

¿Que Bandera Tu Prometes Lealtad?

Dear Guest Workers,

You undermine your own call for greater inclusion into American society when you hold rallies in Spanish and tote Mexican flags.

I agree that America is a nation of immigrants. I agree that labeling these extremely hard working people as felons is counterproductive and probably offensive. But, being American is more than a right to freely work and wire money across the border.

I am all for diversity and cultural appreciation. But, that seems to me entirely different from what is being fought for here.

I think being proud of where you come from is something for which no one should have to apologize. But, shouldn't there also be a cursory showing of being proud of the place you now inhabit?

Teddy Roosevelt offered the following still timely words on the subject.

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American."

That is all.

Love,

SLS1L

3 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a guy who wears a kilt on Halloween and has Braveheart memorized, you're being pretty harsh on those trying to hold on to their own cultures, no?

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

I am all for diversity and cultural appreciation. But, that seems to me entirely different from what is being fought for here.

I think being proud of where you come from is something for which no one should have to apologize. But, shouldn't there also be a cursory showing of being proud of the place you now inhabit?

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in DC, and the marchers here carried almost exclusively U.S. flags. I was also listening to NPR today, and they were (I believe) in Phoenix, where they counted, in their immediate area, 2 non-U.S. flags and 20 U.S. flags.

I see what you're saying, but I'm wondering whether you saw what CNN (or whomever) thought was good news, or an actual protest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home