Sunday, May 14, 2006

Hope Springs Maternal

Ambrose Bierce wrote that a sweater is a "garment worn by a child when his mother is feeling chilly." Taken last month in Napa, here is a picture of my own attire controlling thermostat.


She's much more than that though. It's because of our bond that I'm leaving Stanford for the year - and why I don't need a second thought about choosing to do so. Mom has been my teacher in every sense of the word and there are still, I'm sure, many lessons left to be learned.

In the words of another modern day wordsmith, "when I was sick as a little kid, to keep me happy there's no limit to the things [she] did. And all my childhood memories are full of all the sweet things [she] did for me."

Happy Mother's Day, Mamá.

1 Comments:

At 2:42 AM, Anonymous PG said...

I took this past semester off to spend time with my family, partly due to a relative's illness, and while it was disappointing in some respects (as an older and wiser friend warned me would happen, I was not able to fix everyone's problems), I still think that time spent with people you love is never wasted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home