Saturday, May 06, 2006

Summer In Poetry

This is not the greatest poem in the world. No, this is just a tribute. I'm flattered, though, as these lines draw from my own experiences and actually await publication in a collection of works authored by unknown New England poets.

I've spent eight summers, including my last, in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. As much as I desperately need urban stimulation, some of the best days of my life were spent in the mountains.

I've met a lot of incredible people up there. Including one Persian girl and one, in at least my eyes, literary giant.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Led Zeppelin will be rumbling in the back room,
cards and chips will be on the table,
a Tiananmen Square poster will remind all
of the tenuous nature of political freedom,
"Play Like a Champion Today" will exhort the young Braves
and the spirit of Lubin will reside in lore and song.

- Redwolf Nighthawk Shallcross, native American poet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home