Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Yet So Far

The only thing standing in between me and summer parole is a single exam.

One Friday morning Property final.

In trying to review for it this morning, it has become undeniably clear to me that law school is really not about learning the law in any meaningful sense. I mean. It is and it isn't. With majority rules, minority rules, federal rules, state rules, jurisdiction specific common law rules - including region specific water law, mind you - the value of this type of education is in learning to manipulate arguments.

Or, to piece together recurring buzz words from the term, I will now teach you First Year Property.

Since "arguments always can cut both ways," it's important to learn more "facts about the world" before asking "what would the Judge do?"

There. Now, go out and make the world a better place.

It's fun to make light of this. But, in honesty, I think I've lost track of how far I've come. The first time that I was cold called in September, I think that Prof. Torts response was something like "that's interesting. Would you care to support your argument with some law?" Only eight months later, I feel entitled to mock Supreme Court jurisprudence. Sometimes.

5 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger ChrisWoznitza said...

Hi ich bin Chriswab aus Bottrop !! Viele GrĂ¼sse !!

 
At 2:20 AM, Anonymous Matt said...

In my experience, you need to learn "facts about the world during the middle ages" to properly understand property. At least that's what I heard the unborn widow say to the fertile octogenarian...

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

I love property because it gives us a set of clear rules - like, we know when a regulation amounts to a taking when it "goes too far."

 
At 2:40 AM, Anonymous PG said...

I felt entitled to mock Supreme Court decisions before I even went to law school. In fact, I think many people who follow legal decisions and have read the Constitution at least once feel thus entitled. So you see that even the unelected branch has a certain democracy in being mocked. Plus with split decisions, especially if Scalia writes an opinion, there's someone to provide you with ready-made fuel against Those Idiots so you don't have to be clever yourself.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

All the more power to you, but, before law school, I think the best criticisms I could lodge at the Supreme Court harped on the political and outcome driven nature of some opinions. I think a legal education gives you a wider lens to assess their writing on it's own terms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home