Sunday, August 20, 2006

Call Now For Your J.D.

So, I got an offer to work next summer at the firm that I interviewed with two weeks ago.

For all the intellectual rigor that the law degree purports to demand, I can't shake the feeling at this point that the JD is ultimately a vocational program. It's already said that law school doesn't actually teach you how to be a lawyer. But, I feel more like I'm studying to be a television repairman than preparing to talk jurisprudence around the fire with other philosopher kings.

I completely understand if that doesn't make sense to anyone but me.

2 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger Trevor said...

I guess that's why they call it Social Engineering. Philosopher Kinging is detail-oriented.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

Maybe the platonic conception of education has changed too.

When telling my parents back in 2002 that I had decided on majoring in the Classics, they (both teachers, mind you) asked for what that might prepare me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home