Friday, August 04, 2006

Estoppel In The Name Of The Law

Try and give my apartment away now. Go ahead. My B+ in Contracts will destroy you.

Even if I concede that the deal has not ripened into a contract without signing lease papers (which I am not yet prepared to do), watch in shock and awe as I make out the prima facie elements of my estoppel claim.

<

I will begin now.


1) Promise

2) Act or forbearance (or promise) by promisee

3) Induced by the promise

4) Reasonably expected by the promisor

5) Enforcement is necessary to prevent injustice
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting Apartment Manager :

Good morning SLS2L (let me know if you prefer YLS2L). I wanted to send over my email address so if you have any questions you can get in touch with me. I can be reached at C@cawhite.com or in my office at ***-***-***.

Have a good afternoon.

Best regards,
C

C
General Manager
The CenterPointe of New Haven
New Haven, CT 06510
--------------------------------------------------------------------

From: SLS2L [mailto:sls2L@stanford.edu]
To: C
Subject: Re: CenterPointe

Dear C,


I still have not heard back from S regarding the deposit I placed on the CenterPoint studio. Maybe it's the future lawyer in me, but I'd appreciate some sort of written response indicating that I've claimed it. Or, maybe it's the nerves about moving to a city in less than a month but not having cleared all this up yet! [(5) Enforcement is necessary to prevent injustice]

Thanks for bearing with me,
SLS2L
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoting Apartment Manager :

Hi SLS2L. The office received your check and faxed me a copy. I am drawing up your lease today. It should be in the mail tomorrow by the latest. [(
1) Promise, (4) Reasonably expected by the promisor]

C
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoting SLS2L :

Great. Then I will go ahead and tell the other landlord that I have been dealing with that I will no longer be pursuing a space in his property. [
(3)Induced by the promise]

SLS2L
--------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Matt Short
To: SLS2L
Subject: Re: 80 Howe Street Apartment

Have you decided what you will do?

Matt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting SLS2L :

Thank you for your help, but I have since found housing in New Haven. I will not be needing the 80 Howe Street space. Thank you. [(2) Act or forbearance (or promise) by promisee]

2 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Matt said...

You'll be living across the street from the Chapel Square Mall! Last time I was there, they had doubled the number of stores to four...

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

Yeah, well, hopefully it turns out to be decent considering that I've never even seen the place...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home