Monday, August 14, 2006

To Those About To 1L, I Salute You

Sometimes, I'm reminded that more people read the extemporaneous rambling here than a few friends from school and back home. To those people, and in particular the ones cruising law blogs, I offer the following wholly subjective advice grounded in nothing more than my own experiences.

top ten things to remember about 1L:

10. seats are generally assigned based on your first day arrangement. choose wisely.

9. people that use all the highlighters in the pack to do a single reading should be approached with extreme caution, if not entirely avoided.

8. no persuasive answer to a legal question includes your opinion in it.

7. never ask a question without being prepared to answer it.

6. never study at the library. the people you will see there will stress you out more than the stress relieving effects of getting work done.

5. any stress people experience during 1L is wholly a result of them so choosing to be stressed.

4. as you get used to what each professor's "take" on the law is, every day gets easier.

3. your professors are really in awe of you. you're younger and have them outclassed in terms of untapped potential.

2. keep your sense of humor. it's still okay to laugh if your civ pro teacher tries to draw neighboring jurisdictions on the board, but manages to depict reproductive anatomy.

1. it is a freaking privilege to still be on an academic schedule. working full time is a grind.

11 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger CM said...

I don't know about #3, but I totally agree with the rest, particularly #1. I think everyone should have to work full-time for at least a year before law school. It would cut down dramatically on whining.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

Yeah, I didn't work before law school and now recommend any one on the fence about the JD to do so.

I did work full time, of course, this summer. As much as I enjoyed the job, it has me returning to campus this fall with a bounce in step.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Buffalodawg said...

Thanks for the advice, I've already found #6 to be true and we are only a few days in.

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great advice! I'm moving to Palo Alto for law school tomorrow, so I've appreciated your blog.

 
At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Xiao said...

Jon,

I was just reading your blog and found out about your mom--I am so sorry, I can't even imagine what you're going through right now, what you went through 1L year. I wish you and your family the best. We will definitely miss you next year--don't let those YLSes corrupt you!

~Xiao

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

Thanks for the kind words, Xiao. It is tough but it means a lot knowing that there are people like you out there...

...but I'll be back at SLS soon enough! Don't you forget about me : )

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger prettylawchick said...

I've been through with my Mom what you are going through with your Mom and if you need/want the perspective of someone who has already been through it...drop me a line anytime.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Jacob said...

#8 doesn't apply to Supreme Court Justices.

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jacob, your comments are not appreciated.

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realize that I'm posting a comment to this a year later but I just found it.

That said, I - who am about to become a 1L in August - wholeheartedly agree. Even though I suppose I can't really compare yet, I graduated from college last year and have been working fulltime and (several weeks, overtime) for the past year. It sounds crazy every time I say it out loud, but I cannot wait to go back to school and study something. Working is insanely stressful. (If you're curious, I work as a paralegal in a small-to-mid-sized firm - 4 partners, 1 associate, 1-pending-bar-passage associate, 2 law clerks, etc.)

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first "Things I knew before law school" list I've read that didn't make me want to kill myself and/or drop the whole idea of law school... thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home