Friday, October 06, 2006

Phase Two

Excluding work-study and camp counseling, I have not engaged in any productive market behavior. I am invisible. A claimed dependent on someone else's tax return. But, that's all about to change.

The past two weeks of interviews drilled that reality in. I'm not against it - no, in fact, very much for it. However, I just feel disingenuous talking about my ideal career path during these exchanges. I come straight through from college, have one summer of practical legal experience under my belt, and - all of a sudden - I'm talking about structured finance, IP litigation, and securities fraud like I really have a clue about what they're like up close. So, I've been very honest about that. I'm pretty much still open to anything.

Anyway, making things seem even more forced is that I am apparently supposed to know which firm it is that I want to do this "exciting and cutting edge" work that I have never done. But, this is the ritual. It's ceremonialized among law students and firms these days.

A typical exchange might look something like this:

Law Firm Partner: So, what is it about our firm that you find attractive?
Law Student: The reputation of (insert firm) in (insert practice area) speaks for itself. The ability to get substantively involved early on in my career is very appealing to me and I think the international emphasis of your firm has perfectly positioned it for where I think the law is trending.

So, having had variants of that conversation fifteen times, it's time to move on. Next up this month are "callbacks."

The last time I had a callback was when I was auditioning for a part in my Junior High School's production of Fiddler On The Roof.

With that in mind, here are the shows that I'm trying out for later this month. The role in all of them will be the same: summer associate.

1. Sk@dden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom LLP
2. Cle@ry, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton LLP
3. Debev0ise & Plimpton LLP
4. Simps0n Thacher & Bartlett LLP
5. SuIIivan & Cromwell LLP
6. P@ul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
7. Lath@m & Watkins LLP

It's kind of funny how only two years ago that was gibberish. I've been doing what homework I can. But, at this point, I feel like it is ultimately going to come down to the vibe and gut feeling I'm hoping to get when I'm in their halls and surrounded by their people. Until then...

SuIIivan & Cromwell sounds the most Irish and Cle@ry Gottlieb sounds the most Jewish.

2 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger some guy said...

Congratulations. It's interesting to me that although you reference your future career path occasionally in the blog, you do not come across like someone with a Really Really Big Firm personality. But who am I to judge you based on your blog? No one. So seriously, congratulations. Looks like you're more or less set for life...

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

Hah - thanks. I'll only know if I'm a Big Firm guy if I play a few hands at a Big Firm. I'm obviously hoping for a great fit. But, if not, I'm also not the kind to sit idly by either!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home