Thursday, December 14, 2006

On Second Thought

I'm not sure whether this supports or undermines the logic animating my last post. But, I just came across the following quote written by one of the most famous American jurists upon his college graduation.

"If I survive the war, I expect to study law as my profession or at least for a starting point." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1861)

The Great Dissenter, himself, went through the rigors of obtaining a law degree without fully intending a career in it? Apparently, this epidemic fear of career commitment is both venerable and sweeping.

Too pervasive, maybe, for me to make some normative justification for or against it. It just is. If you want to go to law school, go to law school. The rest will take care of itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home