Friday, January 26, 2007

Hi. I'm a Mac.

My new toy.


And, to prove this wasn't wholly an impulse purchase motivated by Mac advertising, I present the "homework" that...someone else did for me...

Homework that I now share with you, in case you find yourself in a similar situation.

BY: Okie Cyberstudd

I think ThinkPad notebooks are the best. They are very durable, have the best keyboard in the industry, and often have battery life better than their competitors.

I have an X41, which I purchased at the start of law school. This model has been replaced by the X60, which is very similar except for a few minor upgrades. I highly recommend this model, with a few reservations.

* They're now made by Lenovo instead of IBM. I've read concerns that quality control might not be as good, though I've never read anything more than just conjecture.
* They don't currently ship with Windows Vista. If you're buying a laptop in the near future, I'd wait until Vista comes out at the end of the month and buy a laptop that has it pre-installed.
* It's also a very small laptop. I personally like this form factor best, but some people think it's too small (especially since it has no built-in CD/DVD drive, though I don't use one often enough for this to matter).

I've been thinking about switching to a Mac for several years now, but I just haven't been able to make the plunge. While I really like the operating system, the laptops have typically had subpar battery life (something I really value). I think the latest MacBooks are better, but it's still not possible to buy a higher capacity battery that lasts 10 hours (as you can with most IBMs).

I have a personal aversion to Sony products (mostly b/c of their proprietary memory stick). I also think they're generally poorly made. I'd never consider a sony product, though they remain popular.

Another possibility is Fujitsu. I think they make excellent laptops -- especially thin and light ones like the Q2010 or the P7000. They aren't sold as widely as most other brands, but I think they a close second behind IBM.

I would avoid HP, Toshiba, Dell, etc, with only a few exceptions.

6 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

welcome to the dark side! I mean, the light side! Whatever, these computers are awesome.

And as per your last post, party at your place this summer! (wait, no, seriously... please?)

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Russ said...

JL--I know you just wanted to be more like me, its fine. Welcome.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger SLS2L(@YLS) said...

Party at the place as long as Russ says so. Since, you know, I want to be like him.

Is there anything so wrong with that?

And, yeah, getting used to this new OS is slow going, but I'm quickly getting the hang of things...

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Mel Woods said...

I think you made a good call. I bought my T43 as the Lenovo deal was going down. I recently had a minor problem and found the Lenovo people useless.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger héctor said...

Hey, I'm a Mexican Polisci undergrad student and I'm in the way to buying a new Macbook...Still, i have concerns about the price (why is that Dell offers so good prices and Mac doesn't?) and its adaptability to Office...Please, convince me that I did not just buy a Macbook because of the publicity and the nicelooks...hectorcflores@hotmail.com

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger héctor said...

I forgot to add...good luck with your battle, SLSS2L

 

Post a Comment

<< Home