Sunday, February 11, 2007

Say It Ain't So

Despite Mel's love of alcohol and hatred of Jews, I've maintained an enormous amount of respect for his performance and direction in that award winning epic, Braveheart. I don't think I'm being arbitrary about the matter either. While I think he's mastered the substance and style of his genre, I have no desire to meet him.

This was until the following text from Henry V struck me as a little too familiar. For now, at least, all bets are off. Is Braveheart's most famous speech (that I've performed dozens of times for others upon request like a trained monkey) jacked from Shakespeare? Decide for yourself, but I'll be looking into this further.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
(IV,iii)


v.

And dying in your beds
Many years from now
Would you be willing to trade
All the days from this day to that
For one chance, just one chance
To come back here and tell our enemies
That they may take our lives
But they'll never take our freedom!
(Battle of Stirling, 67 min.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home