Tuesday, March 20, 2007

For Crying Out Loud

To: Yapping Stay-At-Home Mothers At Starbucks
From: SLS2L
Re: #$@*d

I know that getting out of the house must be one of the highlights of your day.

But where in the social contract does it say that you are relieved of all child rearing duties when you order a half caf, no foam, skim latte? Where does it say that once you sit down with another desperate housewife that the rest of us need to activate our cookie projectile and spill defense shields? For the love of God, control your children. Just because your toddler can't control the volume of her voice doesn't mean that you get to raise yours to continue gossiping with the Yentas. This isn't a playground. The tables aren't for tap dancing. Your kids are not that cute. She is not cranky today because she is a Scorpio. I will offer a forgiving smile the first time and second time your little one squeals or bumps into my laptop. Not the fifth, seventh, or the tenth time. I'm not claiming that this, of all places, is supposed to be a sanctuary of calm. Still, I don't at all understand the presumption that I have to subsidize your decision not to find a sitter for the whiny brats with my decision to read and write in a coffee shop.

4 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Anonymous AK said...

Nicely put.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Werbie said...

How timely, I just got this e-mailed to me today:

http://starbucksgossip.typepad.com/_/2007/03/starbucks_baris_1.html

Hope everything else is going well, and happy belated birthday! I celebrated for you - remember you share a birthday with my boyfriend!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger DroitFemme said...

I completely agree. Housewives sans kids at Starbucks are also very annoying. Yes, I am here studying my boring law stuff, and I don't need to hear about your next mani pedi, which summer camp the kids chose, or what kind of soccer-mom-SUV the husband is thinking about buying you. Please don't choose the table right next to me when the rest of the place is empty -- you can gab about that stuff in the opposite corner. I'm working over here!

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't anyone here own an iPod? Seriously, if you want to study in a public place like Starbucks, use your iPod and stop whining.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home