Monday, May 07, 2007

Strange Changes

Friends, I wish I was writing a different letter. Before it filtered out through the usual Stanford fishbowl, I wanted you to get it straight from me. I won't be returning next year.

The circumstances in my life that brought me back to the East coast still persist. I'm incredibly thankful that my Mom is still around for me. But, with her condition steadily deteriorating over the last days and months, it still feels right for me to hang back and be around for her.

Knowing what the right decision is doesn't make it any easier. I was really looking forward to returning. Worse still, I just feel selfish for wanting that at a time when my family needs me to shoulder some of the burden. I can't even imagine the enormous regret that I'd have by comparison, though, if I acted on that emotion.

So while I have to accept the opportunity to graduate close to home, it feels bittersweet doing so - bittersweet because of all the good times and laughs that were compressed into one nine month period between September 2005 and May 2006.

Anyway, congrats to the 2Ls on clearing "hump" year and the 3Ls on clearing everything. If you're around NY this summer, drop me a line.

All the best,
YLS2L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home